Date: January 11 – 25, 2021
Host: Ornithologist, Geoff Carpentier
If you love nature, birds and tropical flora, this truly is the trip for you. While not specifically a photography tour, there will be many opportunities to get your camera out to shoot photos of some of the amazing wildlife we will see. Join Geoff, alongside local expert guides, as he explores the avian world of Colombia.
- The Experience
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
- Trip Route
Cost: US$ 5,750 per person (based on twin share)
About the Adventure:
If you love nature, birds and tropical flora, this truly is the trip for you. While not specifically a photography tour, there will be many opportunities to get your camera out to shoot photos of some of the amazing wildlife we will see. Join Geoff, alongside local expert guides, as he explores the avian world of Colombia. You’ll visit several reserves, even staying within an alliance zero extinction zone, where the wildlife is protected and is a sanctuary (for both you and the birds). With plenty of photographic opportunities, make sure to pack your camera and binoculars on what is bound to be a stunning and entertaining adventure.
About Your Host:
As a bird expert, Colombia is a natural destination for Geoff to explore. He has already been to this exciting destination on his quest for the unusual and wants to share it with others! Geoff’s interest in nature started when he was 13 and he’s since studied zoology and biological sciences. Recently retired, he worked for over 33 years with the Canadian Ministry of the Environment. He is a widely published author in nature and science magazines and books, and worked as an interpretive guide in several national parks, as an expedition leader. He has traveled the world, visiting approximately 80 countries on all seven continents.
- Calling all birders and wildlife enthusiasts
- Hike in the Chingaza National Park and Las Floridas wetland learning about its endemic flora and fauna
- Head to Observatorio de Colibris to capture stunning photos of 10 different species of hummingbirds
- Stay in Las Tangaras Bird Reserve, one of the most diverse and important tropical forest sites on earth
- Explore the highlands of the Santa Marta Mountains searching for local endemics such as the Santa Marta Parakeet and Screech-owl
- 3 Nights Bogota
- 2 Nights Las Tangaras Reserve, N. Andes
- 2 Nights Jardin
- 1 Night Minca
- 3 Nights El Dorado Reserve, Sierra Nevada
- 1 Night Riohacha, Colombia’s Caribbean Coast
- 2 Nights Palomino, Colombia's Caribbean Coast
Contact Carling, our group leader and Custom Travel Advisor about possible extension options like visiting the colonial town of Barichara, in San Tander or heading to Cartagena.
We have hand selected these intimate hotels and lodges for their locations, hospitality, and comfort. In Las Tángaras Nature Reserve, your private cabin is in protected habitat for the endemic Goldenringed tanager and Black-and-gold tanager. Watch hundreds of hummingbirds from the balcony at Hotel Minca La Casona, check out the observation towers, terraces, and seating areas at The El Dorado Ecolodge and live in harmony with nature at Eco Hotel Finca La Jorará.
Alongside our highly knowledgeable host, Geoff Carpentier, your Colombian guides will assist you throughout the trip. Prepare to be educated and charmed by these local experts intimately familiar with the regions culture and biodiversity.
Learn about 200 year old plants that use the fog to create groundwater. Visit Las Tarangas Reserve, which is home to more than 300 bird species. Explore El Dorado Reserve and the endemic species which live in the sacred mountains of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta. You’ll have plenty of time to spot and capture the perfect shot of many birds you’ll never see anywhere else. This truly is the perfect birders adventure.
Explore the country’s diverse geography as you overland between parks and reserves and maximise your time on the ground with scenic flights.
- 14 nights accommodation in hotels/lodges
- Domestic flights in economy class : Bogota / Medellin and Medellin / Santa Marta
- All transportation, transfers and excursions as per detailed itinerary
- Hosted by Geoff Carpentier (w/ min 10 guests)
- Services of professional local guides
- Meals as mentioned
- All entrance fees
- International flights
- Gratuities to local staff
- Entry visa to Colombia
- Travel insurance (strongly recommended)
- Items of a personal nature (ex. laundry)
- Any increases due to circumstances beyond our control (ie. park fee increases, fuel surcharges)
For an insight into Colombian bird diversity and birdwatching, take a look below. This playlist of videos highlights Colombian local birdwatching guide, Diego Calderon-Franco and National Geographic photographer / videographer Keith Ladzinski as they travel through one of the most diverse bird regions in the world to capture new and rare birds that have never been filmed before. This series called ‘The Birders’, will take you through the Colombian landscape, highlighting several of its’ top locations, culture, birds and music!
Starting in Bogota & Ending in Santa Marta:
- US $ 5,750 per person, twin share
- Single supplement US $ 1,250
A 2% cheque discount will apply. A deposit of CA$1,500 secures your space. All payments are non-refundable once received. Please consider insurance.
All quoted prices effective at time of publication (April. 14, 2020). Itinerary is subject to change due to improvements or changes in local conditions; prices are subject to change.