- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
- Trip Map
Date: Various departures available, ask us! (8 days)
Host: Local Expert Guides
Cost: Starting at US$4,995 per person
Deep in the Amazon jungle, the vast Napo River winds past shorelines enveloped by throngs of lush, emerald green forest and bursts of tropical colour. By motorized canoe, traverse the Los Rios, a waterway that feeds into the world’s second longest river and learn about the creatures and insects that call this rainforest home. On shore, hike through dense flora and fauna with your expert guide, taking in spectacular panoramic views of your surroundings as well as parrots and rare bird species. Experience the joy and warmth of Kichwa culture as you’re welcomed into a local community, and connect with fellow mothers, fathers and families. Join a minga—a Kichwa word meaning “the coming together of people for the greater good”— and work alongside community members on a sustainable development project.
- Meet families in the “Me to We” charity partner’s community
- Join community members to volunteer on a sustainable development project such as laying bricks for a new classroom
- Experience what goes into planting, harvesting and processing cocoa beans
- Participate in a traditional cleansing ceremony with a local shaman
- Train in the art of throwing a spear and shooting a blowgun, traditional hunting methods
- Explore the historic centre of Ecuador’s capital city, Quito
- Arrival into Quito
- Meet your ME to WE Facilitator
- Transfer to your hotel in Quito for a restful overnight
- Get ready for your adventure in the Amazon with a short flight to Coca.
- Take a motorized canoe down the Napo river to Minga Lodge
- Enjoy a community orientation and welcome dinner at Minga Lodge
- Morning rainforest walk
- Meet local community members
- Start work on an infrastructure project like a classroom, teacher’s accommodation or a health clinic
- Join a farmer to help carry out daily activities
- Continue the build in the afternoon
- Enjoy an optional wild Amazonian night walk
- Volunteer on the build site in the morning
- Experience a Shamanic Ceremony
- Get hands on weapons training in the afternoon
- Explore the Amazon rainforest with your local Naturalist Guide
- Learn how to make chocolate at a cocoa farm
- Join our jungle guides for a traditional cooking lesson
- Finish your work on the development project
- Saying goodbye to the local community
- Morning departure by river boat to Coca
- Fly to Quito and explore the old city
- Wash & change room to take a quick shower, and enjoy a farewell dinner at a local restaurant
- Depart to the Quito Airport for your journey home
- Professional facilitator
- 7 nights accommodation + wash & change room in Quito on last day
- All meals and drinks at Minga Lodge, including purified water, sodas, beer and wine
- All activities as outlined in the itinerary
- Ground transportation throughout the duration of the trip
- Domestic air in country
- Entrance fees to sights in Quito
- International flights to/from Quito
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel insurance (strongly recommended)
- Any increases due to circumstances beyond our control (government taxes, levies, fuel surcharges, etc.)
- Entry visas
- Gratuities to local staff
- Imported wine and beer and champagnes
Why Travel with Purpose?
When you participate in a ME to WE Trip with Civilized Adventures, you contribute to WE Charity’s renowned sustainable development model by contributing to one or more of the model’s five pillars—clean water and sanitation, agriculture and food security, education, health or alternative income and livelihood.
The community and its needs determine your volunteer efforts. We work in close collaboration with community members and development experts to develop holistic solutions that have lasting impacts.
Alongside locals, you might lay foundations or bricks for schools, run summer camps for children, or support workers digging fields and planting trees. Your efforts contribute to the many important steps needed to establish the five pillars, which eliminate the obstacles to education. Your efforts do not take jobs away from locals. In fact, WE Charity’s development projects create jobs for supervisors, skilled engineers and project managers. A ME to WE Trip participant’s volunteer work is essential to completing the numerous and ongoing projects that benefit the communities where WE Charity works.
Half of ME to WE’s net profits are donated to WE Charity—helping you make an even bigger impact on the place you visit. The other half is reinvested to grow the enterprise and its social mission.
Starting from US$ 4,995 per person (based on double occupancy)
Prices are current at time of publication (Feb, 2020). While unexpected, pricing and itinerary are subject to change.