Date: May 30 – June 15, 2022
Travel Style: Hosted Small Group
Find out why Madagascar is known as the eighth continent. Filled with plants and animals found nowhere else, this is an amazing destination for those seeking unique wildlife and incredible landscapes.
- The Host
- The Experience
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Date: May 30 - June 15, 2022
Host: Travis Steffens, Primate Expert
Cost: Starting from CA$9,750* per person, twin sharing
We'll explore numerous different ecosystems including rainforests, dry deciduous forests, limestone tsingy, and coastal spiny dry forests. You'll hear the incredible sounds of the Indri, the world's second loudest primate and loudest lemur, while we visit Andasibe. You've never seen a sunset like you will while walking below towering baobabs, also known as the upside down tree, along Baobab Alley. Can you imagine forests of stone? A visit to the Tsingy de Bemaraha will introduce you to the limestone formations that have eroded into giant razor sharp spikes. Think that is weird? What about a spiny dry forest where lemurs find a way to nimbly jump from tree to tree somehow dodging the perilous spines when landing. Did I mention the beach? Because there is some of that too!
- Explore bizarre landscapes including climbing limestone tsingys and the spiny forest
- Indigenous plants and wildlife, including lemurs, found nowhere else on earth
- Interact with locals and learn about the unique Malagasy culture
- Experience Madagascar with primatologist Travis Steffens and professional local guides
- Walking excursions in remote national parks and reserves
Questions? Please contact Julie, one of the Civilized Adventures’ Custom Travel Advisors at email@example.com
- Tana (1 night)
- Andasibe-Mantadia National Park (3 nights)
- Tana (1 night)
- Tsingy De Bemaraha National Park (2 nights)
- Kirindy Private Reserve (1 night)
- Morondava (1 night)
- Tana (1 night)
- Ifaty (2 nights)
- Anakao (3 nights)
- Tana (1 night)
For details on accommodation, daily activities and more see our interactive itinerary here. Friends or family interested in joining you on this adventure? Give them our printable pdf version of this itinerary.
Travis is a 21st century explorer with a passion for wildlife, conservation, and travel. With a MA degree in Primatology, he is an expert in all things primate. In addition to leading nearly 50 safaris, Travis found one of Madagascar's largest caves and discovered dinosaur tracks. Travis is dedicated to finding sustainable solutions for communities, lemurs and forests through the non-profit group Plant Madagascar.
I am beyond excited to share with you over 10 years of experience researching the lemurs of Madagascar. Come and join me on what will surely be a unique experience. – Travis Steffens.
We have hand selected these intimate hotels and lodges for their locations, hospitality and comfort. Whether relaxing in your own private bungalow at Anakao Ocean Lodge, a white sand and turquoise sea paradise, searching for flora and fauna in Soleil des Tsingy's 20 hectares of private land, or participating in neighbouring village life at Le Paradisier you'll be immersed in the region with authentic experiences and simple comforts.
This adventure is hosted by wildlife specialist and lemur expert Travis Steffens. Travis will be joined by our highly experienced local guides.
Sights & Sounds
Guided walks will get you up close with some of the most fascinating creatures on the planet –lemurs, tropical birds, chameleons, reptiles, and even carnivorous plants. You’ll be enchanted by the bizarre island landscapes, from treacherous limestone tsingys, to the drought adapted cacti-like spiny forest, to the rich mangrove swamps and rainforests. You’ll meet locals in traditional Vezo villages, witness the tropical Bekopaka, and learn how to harvest salt in the salt flats.
Private vehicles as well as scheduled and charter flights to maximize your time and comfort.
- 15 nights accommodation in hotels/lodges (first arrival night in Antananarivo is not included in the price but you will need to arrive here for the beginning of the trip - ask us about pricing as we can book this for you!)
- All transportation, transfers and excursions as per detailed itinerary
- Internal flights: Tana-Morondava Tana, Tana- Tulear-Tana
- Charter plane Tana-Amborodia
- Hosted by Travis Steffens (w/ min 12 guests)
- Services of professional local guides
- Meals as indicated - 16 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 14 dinners
- National Park, Reserve and conservancy fees
- International airline tickets
- Gratuities to local staff (US$200 estimate)
- Entry visa to Madagascar (USD$42)
- Travel insurance (strongly recommended)
- Items of a personal nature (ex. laundry)
- Any increases due to circumstances beyond our control (ie. park fee increases, fuel surcharges)
Starting & ending in Tana (Antananarivo)
- CA$9,750* per person, based on 14-16 guests
- CA$10,500* per person, based on 12-13 guests
- Single Room Supplement: CA$1,530*
* Prices based on 2021 rates and subject to change for 2022.
All quoted prices and itinerary effective at time of publication (Feb 12, 2020). Itinerary is subject to change due to improvements or changes in local conditions. A 2% cheque discount will apply. All payments are non-refundable once received. Please consider insurance.