- Cost & Dates
- More Information
Date: August – October Departures (7 Nights)
Host: Locally Guided
Cost: Varies by experience, starting from CA $6,125
Islands and intricate waterways beneath towering mountains…lush, coastal temperate forests…wilderness alive with eagles, ravens, salmon, bears and wolves…ten thousand year old native cultures…Adventure into this remote wilderness, seeking wildlife, meeting native guides and learning why the Great Bear Rainforest is one of the last gems on the Pacific Coast.
For a taste of the bear experience, check out this video!
At A Glance:
- 8 nights
- Starts in Vancouver
- Ends in Bella Bella / Vancouver
- Expert guides
- On our exclusive bear cruise aboard a private sailing ketch,
- Explore the world’s largest remaining tract of virgin temperate rain forest
- Search for rare white spirit bears, grizzlies, black bears and wolves with expert guides who know the Great Bear Rainforest intimately
- Watch humpback whales play as we meander through the sheltered waters of some of the most remote coastal wilderness on earth
- Hot Springs
- Visiting Native Villages and Big Houses
© Images courtesy of Bluewater Adventures
The daily plans are flexible to accommodate the surprises that we encounter each trip, the requirements of tide and weather, and the interests of the group. With so many opportunities to be “wowed”, it’s hard to predict what unique moment will be your favourite memory.
Day 1: Upon boarding, cabins will be assigned and following a brief introduction and safety orientation we will set sail for the Great Bear Rainforest where each night we anchor in a different, secluded anchorage. There will be time to explore the protected waters using our stable sea-kayaks that we have available. During our daily shore excursions, our onboard naturalist will help identify different coastal plants, animals, birds and marine life and interested participants can help keep a species list for the trip.
Days 2-3: We now head deep into the coastal mountains and will focus the next two days on a large marine park called the Fiordland Conservancy. Here you will see has some spectacular rock faces and impressive waterfalls. We will explore remote estuaries and expect to see bears attracted by the spawning salmon. We may visit the native village of Klemtu to see the new longhouse that was recently built by the local community.
Days 4-7: We travel along the shore of Princess Royal Island – the best known area for seeing the rare Spirit or Kermode bear. These bears are black bears expressing a genetic variation that results in about ten percent of the population in this area being all white. We will visit creeks and river estuaries and keep an eye out along the shore as we travel. Khutze Inlet has a beautiful river valley, an abundance of birdlife and we may see bears along the shore.
We are fortunate to spend a day with local Tsimshian Native guides who will take us to their favourite wildlife viewing areas where we will get one of our best chances to spot the elusive Spirit bear.
In Whale Channel we expect to see humpback whales and will take the time to observe these amazing, 15 metre-long creatures, whenever the opportunity arises. In open Principe Channel, we hope for a good wind to set the sails and have one of our best sails of the voyage!
On our return, as we approach the waters of Milbanke Sound keep watch for sea otters. These mammals were decimated in the early 20th century by over hunting for their luxurious pelts. With the nuclear testing at Amchitka between 1968 and 1972, 89 sea otters were transplanted to Vancouver Island. Some found their way to the central coast and it is here you will spot them in the kelp beds wrapped in the leaves of kelp to anchor themselves against the currents.
Day 8: We arrive in Bella Bella late morning. Participants can catch the Pacific Coastal Airlines late afternoon flight back to Vancouver.
Cost & Dates
- August 26 – September 2, 2020 from CA$7,650
- August 28 – September 4, 2020 from CA$6,125
- September 3 – 10, 2020 from CA$7,650
- September 4 – 11, 2020 from CA$6,125
- September 5 – 12, 2020 from CA$6,125
- September 11 – 18, 2020 from CA$7,650
- September 12 – 19, 2020 from CA$6,125
- September 13 – 20, 2020 from CA$6,125
- September 19 – 26, 2020 from CA$7,650
- September 20 – 27, 2020 from CA$6,125
- September 21 – 28, 2020 from CA$6,125
- September 27 – October 4, 2020 from CA$7,650
- September 28 – October 5, 2020 from CA$6,125
- September 29 – October 6, 2020 from CA$6,125
- October 5 – 12, 2020 from CA$7,650
- October 7 – 14, 2020 from CA$6,125
Flights are not included in pricing.